Tattoo Wedding Ring: It's All About the Design
What are the best designs for finger tattoos?
- Right now, Celtic design ring tattoos are very popular. The problem is
that these intricate designs look best when they are made in bold,
large, sizes; smaller intricate designs will look blurry and fuzzy,
especially if the artist is not used to applying these designs in
- When you are choosing a design for your tattoo wedding
ring, use a design that has simple shapes and lines, and if you want to
use a multi-line pattern two lines work best, and definitely do not use
any more than three or the lines will blur.
- Look at pictures of tattoo wedding rings to try and
decide what color of ink you like; blues and blacks are the most popular
because other types of colors have a tendency to blur and fade over
- To get a better idea of how a design and color will
look, check out pictures of tattoos that are on someone's finger (a Google image search will provide some quick results for real life
- Keep in mind that tattoos on the inside of the finger or
up the side of the finger will not hold. Tattoos in in these areas will not last
and they will quickly blur before they eventually wash out.
The Tattoo Artist
- Tattoo artists that are experienced in ring tattoos have the ability
to ink small patterns onto fingers and knuckles, and they are
experienced working with small designs.
- Just because a tattoo wedding ring artist has done a
few ring tattoos does not mean that they are competent. Always ask the
artist for pictures of their customers' rings, how many they have done,
and if you can talk to any of the customers to see how they liked the
- It can be difficult to walk into a tattoo parlor, ask
to see pictures and samples of the artist's work and then leave if you
don't like the work, but it is important not to feel pressured
into getting a tattoo done. Just tell the artist you want to think about
it instead, and always wait at least a few days before you make your
- Professional tattoo artists are always willing to
answer your questions about sterility. The artist should wear a new pair
of surgical gloves for each person, use sterilized or disposable
needles, use a new color tray for each client, and dispose of needles
and used color trays in a medical waste box. (If you see an artist
dipping into the same color tray to use on another client, or pouring
ink into a small container to reuse, go somewhere else for your own
For a One-of-a-Kind Wedding Ring Tattoo
- If you want to make sure that your tattoo wedding rings are unique,
you'll need to find artists that can draw and design their own tattoos.
- Always settle on a price for how much it will cost to
have a few designs drawn up. This way you can pay the artist for the
time it takes to create the tattoo without feeling pressured to pay even
if you aren't thrilled with the design.
- Make sure that the artist understands that you do not
want the wedding ring tattoo design you choose to be used again on
anyone else. You should be able to keep the only copy of the tattoo
- You can have someone draw up a design and take it to a
tattoo artist, but many artists prefer using designs they have either
created themselves or that they have experience with, so always ask
Taking Care of Your Wedding Ring Tattoo
- Even the best tattoos can look bad if they are not taken care of
properly. Tattoo parlors often carry a lubricant cream that will keep
the healing layer of skin over the tattoo moisturized. Many tattoo
artists also recommend unscented Curel lotion or plain vegetable
- It is important to follow your aftercare instructions
to the letter! Do not let the tattoo dry out the first few days, and
keep your hands away from harsh chemicals including chlorine and
- Your new tattoo may form scabs after a few days; do
not rub these scabs off! Let your skin heal naturally without any
- Leave your healing tattoos exposed to the air as much as possible, and only apply a very light layer of moisturizer when needed.
- The main cause of tattoo fade is the sun. To keep your
tattoo wedding rings looking great, put a little sunblock over the
tattoo when you are planning on spending a day in the sun.
The Best Time To Get Inked
- Tattoos are painful, especially on sensitive areas like the finger.
Expect your finger to feel sore for about a week (the pain often feels
like a bad sunburn or rug-burn).
- New tattoos need to be taken care of, and if you are
planning on going on a honeymoon a new tattoo can get ruined in chlorine
pool water or if it is repeatedly exposed to water and sun.
- Because a new wedding ring tattoo is painful, can
bleed, and will need to be taken care of, it is best not to get wedding
ring tattoos on the actual wedding day. Instead, think about getting the
tattoos one to two weeks before or after the wedding. If you get the
tattoos before the wedding, you can keep the tattoos covered on the
wedding day, and then 'unveil' them during the ceremony.
If you think that your wedding ring tattoo can easily be removed, think again.
- Tattoo removal is expensive, time consuming, painful, and it usually leaves a scar.
- Tattoo laser removal can take weeks to months even on a
small tattoo; removing a finger tattoo can cost upwards of $1,000 or
- Tattoo removal through surgical excision and
dermabrasion is extremely painful, leaves large thick scars, and it can
cost just as much as laser removal.
The Best Advice for Wedding Ring Tattoo
- Find a competent artist, choose a design that will look good on a
finger, make sure the artist uses sterile procedures, take good care of
the tattoo, and always be sure you really want the tattoo. If you have
any doubts at all don't go through with
- If you are not sure about a specific type of design,
henna it on your finger first. Henna is a safe plant dye which will last
two to four weeks on your skin - or in a pinch try a black marker!
- You can also stencil the wedding tattoo design on
carbon paper to copy it onto your finger, or (just for a quick try-out
on a design) use a pen! The idea though is to at least try out a design
first to see what it will look like on your finger.
Top Alternative to Tattoo Ring Picks